AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

roundup carry over?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

braunt01
Posted 6/10/2010 09:08 (#1231474 - in reply to #1230664)
Subject: Re: roundup carry over?

Princeton, MN
As it was said glyphosate is tied up by the soil instantly. The difference in weeds present is likely due to a difference in management practices between the two crops. Your tillage timing, type and soil conditions at the time are the major factor.

I have read studies that say there is very little weed seed bank reductions after 10 years of continuous roundup use. There is probably a slight reduction, but in the grand scheme of things there are an awful lot of weed seeds in the soil that have many different and misunderstood dormancy patterns that can last a very long time.

Weed seed dormancy is a very tricky thing and the breaking of that dormancy depends on a multitude of factors, which are affected by soil management. Last year in my area I thought for sure every single lambsquarter seed in the soil germinated. We had very good control of the weeds and yet again this year the was a very early thick flush of them coming again. I was pulling some cocklebur seedlings last night and they much have germinated from 6 inches deep, in a place where I have never seen cocklebur in a field. I was talking about this with my dad and he mentioned there was probably some there 10 years ago, but he hadnt seem them since.

If someone figures out how to understand and control weed seed dormancy it would quite possibly the biggest thing to hit agriculture since commercial fertilizer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)