AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ruminating on a forage harvester idea
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rasputin
Posted 6/5/2010 17:48 (#1225600)
Subject: ruminating on a forage harvester idea

A couple years back I sped up our 3960 JD harvester by switching the gears in the 90 degree gearbox to speed up instead of slow down (cutterhead runs at 1150 instead of 850 rpms now). We had to weld the blower paddles so they wouldn't slide out but other than that, works better than new and this puppy is a 30 year old rotten piece of garbage (which is why I experimented on it). Can anyone tell me if there has been any fundamental changes in the strength/durability/bearing sizes from the 3960 to the 70+75? I was also wondering if anyone has tried or heard of anyone trying to modify a SP harvester to run faster? seems to me the same principle applies, higher RPM's allows application of more horsepower with less chain breaking, shaft snapping. Plus the blower could fill a 30 foot wagon at least. From all the times I've looked at them, the new pull-types look the same as mine, are they actually better? (no, I will not consider anything other than JD for a harvester either, the knife system has me hooked)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)