AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying with an atv or utv?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 5/30/2010 15:10 (#1218763 - in reply to #1218748)
Subject: RE: Spraying with an atv or utv?

Iowa
I built a 75 gallon pull-type with a 20 foot boom 10 years ago. We average about 80A a year for the same reasons you mention, plus pastures, lawns, etc. REALLY HANDY. But I tried a 2 wd Rancher and it would spin out when fully loaded going uphill. Got a 4 wd Rancher and it has always pulled it just fine. Power was not a problem--traction was an issue with the 2 wd. I spray 7.5 gpa--10A per load. If you had a 500cc machine, I think 100 gal would work just fine. When I am full (75 gal) the Rancher has all it wants, but always goes where it is pointed. As soon as down to 55 gal or so it pulls pretty easily. I think the Rancher 350's are only actually approx. 325's.

My first attempt at building the booms was unsuccessful--I used standard-wall 1 inch tubing, and simply drilled holes at hinge points. My second--and successful--attempt used HEAVY wall 1" tubing and bushings installed at hinge points, and the little gas-charged cylinders (like hold up car hoods, etc) to keep the booms from bouncing. Over 9 years and still holding up just fine.

I don't think the higher cost of a UTV would be necessary, unless you just wanted it or went really big--say well over 100 gallons.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)