AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[PIC] Peas are up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

christianh
Posted 5/25/2010 23:13 (#1214046 - in reply to #1213969)
Subject: RE: [PIC] Peas are up

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
mennoboy - 5/25/2010 21:42

Out of curiousity, why so shallow? big seeded pea. Needs lots of moisture. In grass land if I remember correctly. Were you not concerned about them drying out. I realize that you've had lots of rain. Just a little surprised. We're usually at 1" for peas. have neighbors that used to seed between 2-3". That was a little excessive.
Crops look good so far? did you have this nasty wind today as well. I'm sure there were a few augers that got blown over today!

That warm weather last week sure made germination and emergence quick. We had sunflowers that emerged within 8 days of being seeded. That's the fastest we've had sunflowers up. Glad I didn't try to spray them just before they came up! Sprayed them just before seeding. Good decision in hindsight.

Only roughly 30 out of 160 acres went into prairie. Those got seeded deeper, around that 3cm mark, and they aren't out of the ground yet.

These are on no-till. When I was seeding, I had areas were the packers were dragging instead of turning. Getting off every few passes to knock the mud off the openers, and we had rain in the forecast, so I wasn't too concerned about getting them in deep. If it were a drier year, yes we'd be pushing them in further.

So far, peas are @ 7 plants / square ft. The wheat (AC Andrew) is at 27 plants /square ft. Our fields are clean (still)... canola hasn't been seeded, gonna start tomorrow I hope... Only going to seed @ 2mm deep if I can get it that shallow. They're saying rain for us for Friday, Sat, and Sunday so on Monday it'll be out of the ground.

Yes, I was in Ste. Rose today to pickup my InVigour seed, boy was it windy... could hardly keep the pickup on the road, traffic rolling at 80. I haven't finished cleaning up my yard from the last wind storm a few days earlier. My shed door needed three sets of new rollers from that storm.

How's your area looking so far? Do you have a lot of dandelion pressure like this area does?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)