AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybean innoculant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 5/14/2010 19:48 (#1199806 - in reply to #1199775)
Subject: Re: soybean innoculant?

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
Jon S - 5/14/2010 19:16

Very interesting.

Years ago when I had someone doing the custom soybean planting for me (while I was out slaying the dragon for the family), I went to check on the progress at the field and well....the inoculant was sitting in the pickup with the windows rolled up on a very hot day. I decided to not use any more from that point forward. Worked out fine for me. Now, one has to ask the obvious questions: Was the soil predisposed to inoculum? Or, did it really not matter all that much in the first place? I wish I knew. FWIW, the soybeans that I now purchase are all pre-treated with inoculant now. It’s just the way that they are sold. So much easier to deal with and less fuss at planting.

Every now and then Jon, a 40 or 80 acre farm will become available. Most of the time sheep or pasture ground that a retired farmer had maintained for the last 10 to 30 years of his Life on the farm. So No corn or soybean history on these acres.

These acres get worked into the corn, S.B. and wheat rotation just like the rest of the total acres and No special treatment of any kind , such as Inoculation is Provided.
Now Looking at the weigh slips, Most times the fields, corn, wheat and or S.B. produce as good as ! or even Better than the
overall average of the total acres. So I see Most of this as Marketing Talk and or seed Co. looking for some type of Advantage for ?
Marketing Methods to separate their products from Others !!!! If I thought in any way !!! We could gain 1 to 3 or more Bu. !! I would be the 1st. to be recommending such a soil enhancement program.

But the Numbers, Bu. Just are Not there !

So as for the past 30 some years !! I personally see this as a sales and marketing Program.

Edited by soil-life 5/14/2010 19:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)