AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Veris Soil Testing Experience?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 5/13/2010 00:42 (#1197240 - in reply to #1196335)
Subject: RE: Veris Soil Testing Experience?

Colby, Kansas
It does an excellent job of getting at lab soil pH, getting to buffer pH is somewhat more difficult, but with some other data (such as EC) relationships can be made. Or the use of an assumed relationship to get from soil pH to buffer pH (shown in figure 4A of the attachment).

The attachement has some figures (2, 3) that show veris MSP values compared with lab values on both a relativley simple (Ashland) and a complex (Ogden) field with regard to soil types. The use of an assumed relationship between soil pH and buffer pH is used to go from MSP data to buffer pH in figure 4B. In general the data would be quite suitable for use in developing VRT lime prescritions. It is important that you or your service provider have a good idea of how soil pH relates to buffer pH in your part of the world.

Maybe a more technical reply than you wanted but that is all my experience with it. There are several service providers here in Kansas that are actively using Veris MSP rigs to develop VRT lime recs. Most of my experience is in an area where high pH is much more of a concearn than liming (growing up as a kid reading farm magazines I never could undersand what this "liming" was all about, and of couse the idea of draining water away with tile was plumb crazy as well).

Regards,
Lucas

Edited by LHaag 5/13/2010 01:01

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Predicting soil pH and buffer pH in situ with a real-time sensor - Staggenborg Carignano Haag.pdf (236KB - 511 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)