AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EPA starts over on spray drift
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 5/12/2010 18:46 (#1196480 - in reply to #1196328)
Subject: Re: I believe laws and regulations solve every problem

I'll bet on a day with 30mph winds my drift will magically come to a halt once the law is passed. Why don't we get on this sooner. I need these laws to protect me, my neighbors, the spotted owl and snail darter.

I understand regulation, but it seems more like passing a law stating it won't rain for the last 2 weeks of april. Drift for the most part isn't a huge problem anyway. In a situation where millions of acres of crop are being sprayed at various times, statistics say there will be a certain number of problems. Are we saying it's 30% of the time we have drift related problems and insurance claims? I don't think so. When I had a custom spray license my insurance with country companies, my premium was very reasonable. Would this be the case if the insurers were paying lots of significant claims? Probably not. This seems to be more of a nonsense type of regulation. It's not like we're spraying plutonium though I suppose a greenie type might suggest so (after putting down his/her cigarette).

Reality is that none of us want any drift what so ever and work hard to keep it that way. Most of us can point to a time when there was no way there was going to be any drift yet humidity, weird air currents, bad luck seem to cause some. Now the other side of the coin is folks quick to make a claim - I'm pretty sure one of the 2 claims I've had involved roundup killing roundup ready corn. Of course it didn't, the guy just got paid for a poor stand from planting in wet conditions - no dead plants, but insurance companies don't seem to argue much. Again, must not be their biggest claim generator. Sometimes I wonder if it's just a way to make a 'sales' call to a prospective client.

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)