AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP requirement for 27kw gen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 5/10/2010 22:02 (#1193495 - in reply to #1193274)
Subject: Re: HP requirement for 27kw gen

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
weewilly - 5/11/2010 19:14

Jon, my gen runs at 3600 rpm. When you said direct drive did you meen you just hooked up direct to gas engine? Does one need a clutch between and gearing to get RPMs?

As you can tell I am not too informed on a gen operation and I don't pretend to know the first thing about power.

If you unplug a power cord and grab the prongs, why don't you get a shock from the power that is left in it? Or where did it go? Everyone says it is just like water running through a garden hose, but after you shut off the tap you still have to drain the hose. LOL

Same here, my generator is a 2 pole unit, so needs to turn 3600 rpm to make 60 cycle power. The little 200 Ford car engine is a short stroke unit, so does not mind running 3600. I used the Ford clutch as a drive plate to connect a transmission input shaft to the generator shaft with a Lovejoy coupler.

I was once told that electricity flowing through a wire is like pushing marbles through a length of pipe. For every marble (electron) you push into one end of the pipe another pops out the other end. When you stop putting power into a wire, there is no residual left in it to shock you, the remaining marbles in the pipe are a part of the pipe. In effect the marbles(electrons) filling the pipe are a part of the pipe, so you must put one in to get another out.
Does that make any sense to you ? It almost does to me. LOL. Mayby there is a better way to describe what goes on when electricity flows through a wire.
Anyone else feel free to add their version. ;-)

Edited by Jon Hagen 5/10/2010 22:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)