AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

252 RTK problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

aglasergps
Posted 5/5/2010 18:09 (#1186871 - in reply to #1186632)
Subject: Re: 252 RTK problems

Brisbane, Australia
Can you tell us if the problem occurs when running of the original base station and does anyone else have a problem working from that base? I don't see this as a receiver problem, more a radio issue. I have however seen this when the birds have chewed through the co-ax to the gps antenna at the base and the L2 doesn't come through properly. The radio still transmits but "the lights are on but no-one's at home" if you get my drift.....

Also, what radios? Trimble 900 or 450 or something else? What topography between the repeater and the base?

Here are a few basic things you can check pretty easily that would be adviseable in any radio network installation.....

1. Interference from another radio (which you have already seen and don't discount it isn't happening from another source). Change to another network and try again....
2. The source of power for the radio (be it the repeater or the base) - low power will cause intermittent breaks in transmission. The little power connectors at the base can have a poor solder terminations in the connector itself - check those.
3. The location of the repeater antenna too low to receive good data packets from the original base. Try raising that above all surrounding obstacles.
4. What antenna is on the base radio? If you say the original mobile whip antenna that comes in the factory case then that is most certainly my guess as the cause of the intermittent signal, especially if the base is at ground level and 7kms distant from the repeater and more so, ESPECIALLY if you are using 900 MHz radios. They really need height to get any distance at all (it's a curvature of the earth thing). The 450's are better but height is always going to provide a more reliable transmssion at distance. I would suggest you get that base radio antenna as high as possible before you waste your time on anything else (at least 30-50 feet in the air). Then put a proper base antenna on it.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)