AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Red clover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/16/2010 00:46 (#1163957 - in reply to #1163736)
Subject: RE: Red clover (grazing pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Joshua, I have a lot of clover which seems to have appeared naturally (not planted) in many long term pastures. It just comes up around here.

Except one pasture had almost no clover in the grass for some unkown reason. I did soil test and it looked ok. So rented a 10 ft Great Plains solid stand endwheel drill with the small seed attachment from a local dealer.

I bought innoculated "persistent" red clover seed. I put a local pasture mix in the main seed hopper and drilled it right into the existing grass in April a couple years ago.

This Red Clover has been very helpful in that it seems to come on strong for grazing when the cool season grasses stop growing in July and August.

I have some pictures I may have posted here a couple years ago but I don't recall so here they are again.  I was just driving back and forth over the exiting sod without markers and definitely without RTK! I also tried to stay away from my electric divider fences. You can still see the places that I skipped with the drill. Makes a good before and after comparison.

My cattle love the clover naturally but interseeded with a pasture mix into an existing sward like this bloat has not been an issue as it would be if you just turned them loose into a pure alfalfa or clover stand.

Good persistent innoculated red clover seed is expensive but so far looks like it is worth finding. Definitely use a good drill with small seed attachment. I am of the opinion you should not destroy the grass that's already there and growing but add to it by interseeding.

Here are some pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/16/2010 01:07

(Drilled red clover into grass in WI 8-2-08A_IMG2289.jpg)

(Drilled red clover into grass in WI 8-2-08B IMG_2305.jpg)

(Drilled red clover into grass in WI the lineup 8-2-08E_IMG_2271.jpg)

(drilled clover before and after 080308 IMG_2346_5.jpg)

(drilled clover_ missed a spot 080308 IMG_2349_4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Drilled red clover into grass in WI 8-2-08A_IMG2289.jpg (81KB - 208 downloads)
Attachments Drilled red clover into grass in WI 8-2-08B IMG_2305.jpg (83KB - 232 downloads)
Attachments Drilled red clover into grass in WI the lineup 8-2-08E_IMG_2271.jpg (74KB - 189 downloads)
Attachments drilled clover before and after 080308 IMG_2346_5.jpg (72KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments drilled clover_ missed a spot 080308 IMG_2349_4.jpg (69KB - 189 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)