AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ethanol boom-------HOW LONG?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 2/24/2007 18:52 (#110450 - in reply to #110282)
Subject: RE: Every Boom is followed by a BUST

Lapel, In

"2. Early entrants into the ethanol business (circa 2000) had MAJOR windfall profits. These profits attracted other firms to this business, just as every other free market operates. More firms= less profit/more competition."

I must interject, more competition means higher prices for the farmer, not less ,so long as we can keep the ethanol plants out of the hands of the likes of Cargill and oil interests. It kind of makes me wonder who is promoting a short life to corn bases ethanol. Its a sad situation for the future of agriculture that so many small ethanol plants have eithed decided to delay construction or scrap their plans altogether.

Corn ethanol is NOt going to go away soon,simply because of the logistics involves with the feed stocks. Can you imagine the pile of switchgrass or sugar cane it would take to equal the energy produced from a 1,000 bushels of corn, not even considering the extra handling and transportation problems involved. Corn is MUCH more suited to almost manpower free feeding of the processes involved with ethanol production. No pitchforks needed with corn.

"Every is followed by a bust" ??? Sounds good, but I can tell you that old cliche is simply NOT true.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)