AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 7930 power chip
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fla Veggie Farmer
Posted 4/3/2010 21:29 (#1148830 - in reply to #1148761)
Subject: I'm going to add to your question too

Southeast Florida
We have Agricultural Diesel Solutions on a couple pieces of iron here. 1) AFX 8010 Case IH (tier III) combine and another on a Steiger 330. How does it work on a 9.0L Cummins when they have a waste gate turbo that is actuated by manifold pressure with no control valve? The operator didn't know it was on the tractor and we thought it was burring a lot of fuel. I went and turned it off while he was fueling up on the switch and he never complained about fuel filters, less power or less ground speed and he's the type that would. I noticed and immediately change in the tune of the engine but no less fuel consumption or any of the above either. He is pulling a 42' Wil-Rich field cultivator so it's loaded up pretty good.

I'm no expert on how these things work but if your pumping more fuel into the cylinder isn't the waste gate going to open when turbo boost goes up from more fuel? The combine didn't change either, it's still sick compared to the other one with a tier II engine. I think we wasted money on these chips personally.

Now back in the old days when we wanted to jack one up, twist the old smoke screw and plug off the waste gate if it had one. Get the manifold pressure to about 42 psi and the exhaust manifold will glow red at night. I burnt plenty of exhaust manifolds and blown out several head gaskets until I found the metal gasket made for marine racing in Miami for 8.3L Cummins.

Edited by Fla Veggie Farmer 4/3/2010 21:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)