AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time corn planting impressions(pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wildcat385
Posted 4/3/2010 14:18 (#1148414)
Subject: First time corn planting impressions(pics)

Central KS
Finished planting my first corn crop last nite. Took a few pics from various fields. They were talking 80% chance of thunderstorms Friday, so I hurried to get my bottom ground done on Thursday. Then no rain. If I had known it wasn't going to rain I would have held off a day. It planted much nicer yesterday than on Thursday.

I had a little trouble the first day with down pressure. I was only putting two bags of seed in at a time, and didn't have enough weight to get good depth. I ended up having to rob enough down pressure springs off of my dads planter to double mine. I also put the insecticide boxes back on and filled them with dirt. Once I did that I got along a lot better.

I had trouble with my trash whippers. Even with them all the way up they would still move way too much dirt. I would clear all the drier soil out of the way, and then would be down in the wet mucky stuff. I ran about 10 acres like that befor I finally just took them off. They came with the planter and I don't think they mudt have been meant for a 7200.

My homeade spike closing wheels worked well. The only problem I had with them was in the spots where it was real muddy they would build up some mud on them. Luckily I that was only a few places.

Pro Max 40 plates worked as advertised. The corn isn't up yet, so I won't know exactly how accurate yet, but according to the monitor they were very consistent. Did not find any doubles when digging for seed. Also had some seed that weighed close to 70# per bag and another variety that was 38#, and they worked fine with both.

(planting 011.jpg)

(planting 025.jpg)

(planting 031.jpg)

(planting 020.jpg)

(planting 014.jpg)

(planting 082.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments planting 011.jpg (61KB - 57 downloads)
Attachments planting 025.jpg (70KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments planting 031.jpg (60KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments planting 020.jpg (40KB - 60 downloads)
Attachments planting 014.jpg (21KB - 66 downloads)
Attachments planting 082.jpg (28KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)