AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tillage radishes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 3/14/2010 14:37 (#1120146 - in reply to #1120095)
Subject: Re: tillage radishes

Thumb of Michigan
If you can get some of the long term data from Idaho, there's some important differences noted between some varieties in terms of Sugar Beet cyst nematode suppression, and also the ability of some varieties to act as host for sugar beet cyst nematodes. Here in Michigan, the 2 most popular varieties are Adagio and Colonel. Both will work effectively to control sugar beets cyst nematodes. I believe there is another variety that will work as well, but the name escapes me. Anyway, the going rate for certified Colonel or Adagio is running around $2 a lb, and about 15# per acre is the normal rate. Grown from cert is closer to $1 a # if you can find it. Both are a pretty small seed compared to others on the market. There are a number of varieties of oil seed radish and similar cultivars that will increase populations, I'd stay a long ways from those if you plan on sugar beets in the rotation in the future. As you know, sugar beets cyst nematodes are EXTREMELY persistent, no sense in planting or encouraging a host plant.

If I get time, I'll try to post a link to some Idaho and Michigan data.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)