AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do you have Cattle? or Livestock?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 3/5/2010 20:10 (#1106637 - in reply to #1105890)
Subject: RE: Why do you have Cattle? or Livestock?

North Mo.
This a great question, only someone from the Showme state would dare to ask it.
I threw the cost question out to stimulate thinking which it surely has done. Mu Extension comes in with lower figures than Canada which is not surprising. It still shows losing ones xxxx but to a less degree.
So why have livestock, well to me I use 700 + acres that if I tried to notill [did that in 1974 for the first time] it would wash away leaving the future generation basically strip mined land. For years I tried to use methods now so common on this site, I found I was not getting ahead even falling behind with machinery depr and purchased inputs. I was raising 800# yearlings and selling for a decent price relative to other producers but not relative to cost.
So I turned direction in lots of ways back to my fathers way, however with Mig grazing and now more intense grazing with at least 100 animals in a group. This brings up animal type for my system the cow must have a huge gut to absorb large amounts of forage. This is of course just the opposite of a cattle feeders or packers desirable animal.
Several on here raise calves thru to finish and mkt the beef, I feel that will change your thoughts on cattle raising because you are getting your rewards at the end. There is nothing wrong with that in fact in the future I see us maybe going into a grass finished business. If that is done some of my more extreme cost cutting measures will have to go out the window at least for the finishing part.
I must add that with my numbers of cattle it cannot be a feel good hobby. I see nothing wrong with a hobby cattle farm, in fact I need them to keep the farm supply stores open when I do buy purchased inputs. If stores relied on guys like me it would be a small business.
One other reason I have livestock is driving a tractor is so darn boring, livestock solve that problem. Another thing to life is too short to say you hate it. Sorry for the ramblings. Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)