AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sensor-Based N Management
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mwfarm
Posted 3/4/2010 08:53 (#1104471 - in reply to #1104390)
Subject: Re: Sensor-Based N Management

I should say that it makes my nitrogen fertilizer decisions easy. Also consider that I am in North Central, Ok, where our corn yields are around 80-120 bpa, sorghum around the same, and winter wheat 40-75 bpa. All dryland. My N applications on corn are 60 lbs N (with phos) on the corn and sorgum with the planter, then place a nitrogen rich strip on the field with the sprayer. At V8-V12, use Greenseeker to apply the rest sidedress, either with drop nozzles (my least favorite as heavey rains could was away this N) or on with a side dress toolbar. I am 100% no-till, so some years mineralization or denitrification are worse than others (not going into depth) and the Greenseeker will give you a very, very accurate yield potential to fertilize to. If the rains stop, I simply will not sidedress and hope mother nature will provided the N (mineralization) if better conditions come later. Winter wheat, canola, and barley are easier as application windo is greater. Remember, all this assumes that everything else (pH, P, K, micros, water) are all sufficient. That is where good ole common sense and the "painstaking" come in. go to nue.okstate.edu for references and research.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)