AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Checking grain bins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 3/3/2010 09:31 (#1102813)
Subject: Checking grain bins

Iowa
This is my first year storing corn on the farm - sounds like a poor year to do it. So what do you look for when checking your bins - smell, heat, all of the above? My checking has consisted of walking in - 1x /week , smelling and digging for hot spots - just general snooping around. Most of my bins are the tunnel aeration 3000 bu - corn was dropped in at 15-16% at 60 degrees F - I did have some condensation along the walls and roof as it cooled (outside temp 30) - so far everything looks good -top 3-4 in deep right around the wall (maybe 2 in thick) where the condensation settled from the roof looks dirty, not rotting, but dig down 6 in and it's fine - I plan on moving to full aeration floor as soon as the snow melts down to where I can get to them. I just heard so many horror stories I want to do everything right. If I die of a heart attack my wife should be able to sue the ethanol plant 2 mi away - cause every time I walk across the yard I 'bout $hit myself because of the brewery smell until I get inside the bin :) Why is it whenever I check bins the wind is from the wrong direction? -- man that makes me nervous.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)