AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dirty tricks at auction sale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dondozer
Posted 2/13/2010 11:14 (#1072740 - in reply to #1072544)
Subject: RE: dirty tricks at auction sale

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Went to surplus city auction wanting to buy a JD 935 mower. A friend has one and have worked on it alot. They had 5 of these mowers, about all the same condition, city mechanic had records on each one. All were running before sale, but at time of sale one would start but run awful, smoked, a few bidders where saying must be pump or compression. I was standing by city mechanic, he couldn 't figure it out, but this one was last to sell, know one picked it. Opening bid was 2000 less and not raising. So I lifted hood and looked around, everything appeared to be OK, just acted like starved for air. Had pocket light and looked into air cleaner intake, a rag was jammed down it. We pulled off hose to motor and run fine. Everybody knew who did it, the guy having the only bid. The auctioneer pulled mower from sale, nobody got it. Even tried to buy it later , but to be fair, would be sold at a later sale. I think these guys were working in teams. Sure glad I wasn't bidding on it. Another trick is switching high dollar items in boxes that have junk.
At my father-in-laws sale, we had friends watching everything, doesn't take long to find people acting funny.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)