AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often between oil changes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Stacy
Posted 2/9/2010 16:58 (#1066287 - in reply to #1065563)
Subject: Re: How often between oil changes?

Triplett / Brunswick MO / Brookfield
I used to be old school and change tractors and combines at 100, and vehicles at 3,500. For the last several years on newer motors and per high recommended mfg specs, we now change tractors 225-250, combine 120-150, cars and pickups 4000-7000. We use synthetic blend in everything.
My last high mile pickup that I sold to a niece, had 225,000 miles and would never use a quart in 4,500 miles., she has a ton of miles on it now, and still never adds between changes .............Our car and three pickups never use a quart between changes.............Combine won't call for a quart until 70 or 80 hours, then it's close to one quart a day. Tractors run well over 100 hours before they will ever call for a quart, then it's still not every day. I believe my MX220, which never works hard, won't use a quart until after 200 hours, and I'm sure sometimes I have not added between changes........Interesting on one of my ford pickups (2004 with 5.4) if I use a parts house filter, it will rattle every time you start it. Since I had had a 1997 Chevy do this, I was not real concerned, Chevy told me it was typical on the big block motor. Well last fall I visited with a Ford tech about the rattle, since I also have a 2008 5.4 that does not rattle on start up. The tech told me to use a Ford Motorcraft filter at my next change. I did, and guess what, no rattle. For now on my 5.4's will get Ford Motorcraft filters only.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)