AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grain bin question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bushed52
Posted 1/23/2010 10:15 (#1036864 - in reply to #1036117)
Subject: Re: grain bin question

NW Iowa
I've been told by a bin builder that you can go up or down one size. Like a sheet rolled for a 24' bin could be used on a 27' or a 21'. With the lighter gauge sheets that are used in the upper rings, you might be able to go more than that. 18, 19, & 20 gauge sheets are pretty easy to flex around. When you get to the bottom sheets that are 12 & 14 gauge, it's a different story. If I was building a bin that needed 12 gauge sheets, I'd make sure those are rolled to the correct diameter. I bought a 7 ring 27' Stormor topdry with a lot of bad sheets and a 24' 8 ring Stormor storage bin from halfway across the state a few years back. Dismantled them both and rebuilt the topdry to an 11 ring and made a 27' 7 ring I had into a 10 ring. We did it ourselves so I do have a little bit of experience. I have never had any trouble getting a build sheet from the manufacturer. It's always a good idea to ask the dealer what gauge each ring will be even if buying new. They don't all build them the same even if it is the same brand bin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)