AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Western Oregon no-till wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oregon Farmer
Posted 12/29/2009 20:13 (#992434 - in reply to #991997)
Subject: RE: Western Oregon no-till wheat

Independence OR
Don,

I saw the same thing in my no-till wheat planted into fescue in regards to the Meterex. I put down 5 pounds of meterex blended into my Dry fertilizer and I thought it was a complete waste of money. the slugs only ate the seed and left the slug bait. Later in the season I switched to liquid fertilizer and filled my dry fert box on the planter with OR-CAL slug bait and disconnected the hoses off the seed boot and essentially broadcasted the bait with the planter. this worked good. As far as I am concerned the key the seed trench issue is the get the seed into the trench and get it covered as good as possible. I also used a great plains Turbo till on most of my fescue. I made 2 passes on different angles, this seemed to do a good job of disturbing the slugs as will as drastically improve the seed soil contact. Most all of my no till acres have all been baited at least 3 times this fall. I also planted heavy to compensate for some slug Predation.

If only we had no canada geese or slugs to eat all of our wheat here in the valley!!!

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)