AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH or JD GPS system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/22/2007 06:16 (#92511 - in reply to #92368)
Subject: RE: IH or JD GPS system

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You need to be aware that when using the Insight with the Trimble Autopilot system that the Insight is acting as an input and display device. It is really not steering the tractor but acting as the "go between" you and the Nav Controller. The Nav Controller is a separate box that takes information in and provides the steering signals out to either the tractor's built in electronic steering system (if factory equipped) or the additional steering valves which are installed for that purpose. The Nav controller has no buttons or display - it is a black box (gray actually).

That being said, there are other possibilities for this input/display box other than the Insight. The Insight works well but Trimble offers their Field Manager Display (an Insight type box programmed for Trimble's purposes), their 170 Field Computer, the EZ-Guide+ and probably others.

You indicate that the Red Tractor seems to be a better buy and you sort of imply that you could use the Insight there making it cheaper. I'm not quite following you there as the Insight could be used in either tractor unless you are comparing a Deere system on the Deere tractor vs using the Insight with Autopilot on the Red tractor.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the Insight is being used in your combine, it will not be available to run the Autopilot in the tractor at the same time. The tractor would have the majority of the components still installed but wthout the Insight, the Autopilot could not be used (unless one of the above mentioned other devices is installed),

Actually this could happen to me. I use the Insight in the combine and 8120 for Autopilot. For me this conflict does not happen since the 8120 is running a grain cart beside the combine. Autopilot is not used on the grain cart and when harvesting is finished, the Insight is moved back to the 8120.

Using the Insight as the input/display device works well but it may not result in as much savings as might first be assumed.

I cannot give you costs, but the Autopilot Kit would need to include: Some type of display device (you could use your Insight), a Nav II controller, Auto Sense position sensor, Steering valves if the tractor is not equipped, good quality GPS and the associated wiring harnesses.

The good quality GPS might require a yearly subscription fee.

Edited by tedbear 1/22/2007 06:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)