AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Monsanto CRW patent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TCG
Posted 12/8/2009 13:11 (#955500 - in reply to #955422)
Subject: Re: Monsanto CRW patent

IL
Dave-ECIA - 12/8/2009 11:25

Well, not looking at the same thing. Table (1) is the summary of tables (2) and (3). For the purpose of discussion, stay on table (1), for the overall picture it has the all the data on it. Tables (2) and (3) are interesting because they show the data from the two root digs in July and August.

You are correct, I missed that. Thank you for setting me straight.

I think what is significant in the 2nd article I posted is a little more into the statistics.

In the Dekalb trial, they had heavy rootworm pressure. Look at the untreated checks, lost three nodes pretty consistently. In that trial, Poncho1250 lost 2.85 nodes. I'd say that isn't a significant improvement.

Now, I wasn't really trying to make the distinction that HXX is better/different than YGVT, I was trying to say that seed treatment is just a little better than peeing on the rootworm larvae, and the data as I rememberd it showed that YGVT is a little weaker on RW because of the continued feeding and adding a little "help" couldn't hurt. I re-read my other post and can see where one may infer that. Wasn't my intention.

Here goes, since it was brought up. HXX had an average node loss of 0.88 at the Dekalb location on the first dig, and 0.82 on the second dig. YGVT had an average node loss of 1.15 on the first dig, and 1.49 on the second. In other words, under heavy pressure at the Dekalb trial location YGVT lost an average of .27 of a node more than HXX at the evaluation on the first dig, and 0.67 nodes at the second dig. Notice the feeding continued with YGVT? They discuss it more at the end of the article, but is important to note.

You have to be careful not to cherry pick data from one test & location, though. For example, if you look at this year's November Bulletin, YG had a significantly better rating than HX at the highest pressure location (Urbana).

I think the other issue is that in the original article, notice there isn't enough toxicology data on Cry34/35 to estimate lethal dose, and they were relying on Dow's larva mortality numbers to make their conclusions. Therefore, what is being compared in the article *may* be apples vs. oranges (estimated lethal dose (YG) vs. actual larva killed (HX) ).

I agree with you on the seed treatment issue, I was merely responding to your original assertions on YG vs. HX.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)