AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much chicken "compost" on organic ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 12/5/2009 11:08 (#950919 - in reply to #950246)
Subject: Re: How much chicken "compost" on organic ground

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
ernestf - 12/4/2009 20:44

General rule is 2 tons per acre unless soil has been abused in the past. Some in MS use 4T the first year, then 2 thereafter, combined with supplemental N and K as needed based on soil test result. If pH is very low you will also need lime; but if the lime and compost are applied close together in time the lime will cause some N loss.

Ernie, I agree 100% with you except for the N Loss ?

I have Never seen that by adding a calcium based Lime or gypsum product ! But I have seen it the 1st. year of litter application on Low O.M. soil or compacted , Dead soil ! Especially when the Litter is spread close to planting time and if the soil is dry.

I always Mix or Add what I call a Seeding of Urea and AMS, K blend along with the Litter, especially spring applied applications to balance the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio until the litter Activates as it would if applied the summer or fall before planting a Nitrogen Hungry crop. This prevents Microbial Cannibalism like you may see with heavy residue in Minimum or No Till situations under specific situations. ( I suspect this is what you may be seeing ???? )

Edited by soil-life 12/5/2009 11:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)