AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hybrid placement is key!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 12/2/2009 13:18 (#946704 - in reply to #945505)
Subject: Re: Hybrid placement is key!

NC Indiana
I always liked the multi yr trials a Purdue - especially the NW as they have sandier soils. I tend to favor those hybrids that do well over multi yrs on sandy sites, bc if it works on sand it should shine on most anything else I plant across. The one draw back to that is those hybrids on good dirt tend to be 14-16 ft tall w/ ears head high and a few points wetter. Hard to get around it though bc I cross sand 80% of my passes and changing row directions would create other challenges (shorter rounds, more point rows, erosion). I also try to split the planter w/ different parent lines and or different maturities as seed weights allow (White Planter). The Hx traits also seem to work better than Monsanto's traits (weigh wagon sampling and split fields). I would prefer not to use these traits, but it seem the added plant health does offset the extra cost, and I have one area of the farm were the refuge corn damage has been as much as 2/3's.

I thought maybe someone would offer something up that I've missed when I read this post.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)