AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pain in the A salesmen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 11/26/2009 01:10 (#938749 - in reply to #938410)
Subject: RE: Pain in the A salesmen?

Grand Rapids, MI
citoriskeet - 11/25/2009 20:55

What do I do? Have told them in a round about way (trying to be nice) I dont need their products or services,(they just cant take a hint). They always call or show up at the most inoppertune time. Other than being a total Jacka$$, how do I get my point across? I might need them in the future, just not now, and dont want to burn any bridges.

Thinking of calling them back tonight about 11 O Clock and saying I am ready to talk. LOL

Guess I need to be more blunt with them. Whats your opinion?

I can address this having been on both sides of the proverbial desk. In a previous role, I managed what was then one of the larger farms regionally. Plenty of salespeople knocking. Now in the consulting business, without doing sales, I and my family would get pretty hungry. Sales is still one of my least favorite parts of the job. I love talking about what we do because I believe we do a great job, and have great service. Still I am not sure I am that good at asking for the sale, etc.

So, some thoughts on dealing with salespeople from a salesperson:

1) As you have suspected, you need to be more blunt with them. Salespeople (good ones at least) know there products or services are not for everyone. You don't have to be a Jacka$$ to say no. If you know their product or service is not for you, politely but directly say "no thank you" This is actually doing the salesperson a favor as well, since he can move on to spend time where his product or service has a chance.
2) If you are saying no thank you, let the salesperson know that you understand what they are telling you. A salesperson may not feel they have done their job otherwise, or they may feel they still have a chance if they can get you to understand what they are saying. If you let them know that you understand what they are saying, but yet still have decided not to buy, then they will likely move feeling they have done their job and not bother you further.
3) You need to train salespeople how to respect your time. A salesperson should NEVER show up without an appointment and expect that you will spend time with them. I have stopped by a few farms without an appointment, mainly because someone suggested that I should talk with them, or I know them from somewhere and in both cases I am in the area. In this case, I usually always just have a brochure or something to drop off and NEVER expect to even see them. If I do, my expectation is that they may take 60-120 seconds (literally) to say hi, let them know I would love to talk to them sometime when they have time, and leave. I do usually say that I have time now if they do, but if they don'tjump right at that, I really don't even ask and move on after approximately 60 seconds.
4) For calls, be sure that you get their number progammed in your phone, even if you don't want to call them. You just want to see their name on the caller ID. If it is an inoppertune time, thats what voice mail is for. I would suggest though that if you are not interested, call them back and tell them. Or perhaps just as well send an e-mail that says you got their message, but are not interested at this time.

Hope this gives some perspective from the other side. I can say it is never easy (for me at least) to know when there is interest and to persist vs. to move on.

Loren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)