AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VHF Radios/repeaters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 11/14/2009 00:25 (#923610 - in reply to #922732)
Subject: RE: VHF Radios/repeaters

Southeast Wyoming

I licensed a vhf repeater pair of frequencies this spring totalling ~$350 - $400 for the coordination, 10 year license fee and etc.

I believe I gave ~$800 for a used 50w repeater (Motorola GR1225) and spent another $70 getting it checked out.  I currently have it connected to an old antenna on a 30 ft tv tower with a range of about 20 miles mobile to repeater, but plan to get the antenna to 85 ft, with hopes of reaching over some ridges and picking up another 20-30 miles at least.

Part of the beauty of a repeater is that a handheld in the 5 mile range can talk to a mobile in the 20+ mile range.  I can talk from my handheld to the neighbor's repeater 20+ miles away.  Also a mobile 20+ miles to the south of the repeater can talk with a mobile 20+ miles north of the repeater, where the two mobiles cannot talk to each other simplex; the handhelds have the same simplex range problem but the range is greatly enhanced by the repeater.

Cell phones are a poor substitute for a good radio system.  Every radio call is a "conference call"; everyone is "in the know" on what is going on.  The cell phone has more privacy and has unlimited coverage (theoretically) - each have their advantages/application.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)