AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bluetooth tethering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mx270a
Posted 11/2/2009 12:10 (#910915 - in reply to #910864)
Subject: Re: Bluetooth tethering

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
From what little I've read about this, it seems that some some carriers have that feature locked out, some charge extra for it, and the rest generally don't advertise it or support it. If the phone does support it, I think you can connect it to a computer running XP or Vista as well as Win7.

As for getting RTK correction data from the Internet, if you are using a phone in the cab for the Internet connection, then it would make more sense to run an app on the phone to get the data. You could use a laptop, but a phone with Internet capabilities should have enough power to run the app too. Thus the reason for InTime and RTK Connect. Running the app on the phone also gets you around the issue of if your carrier will allow you to do tethering. Connecting the phone to some other device via bluetooth is different than connecting the phone to a laptop via bluetooth.

I suppose the industry will start adopting bluetooth connections in place of wires where it makes sense. My personal preference is to use wires whenever possible, any only use wireless when I *have* to. On the other side of that, it is really convenient when you only need to get two conductors (power and ground) to a device.

As for in-field networking, as in between multiple tractors or combines, I doubt bluetooth will be the answer there. There are other wireless technologies that would be better at distance, and for mesh networking.

-Lance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)