AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid Sampling Vs Veris
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 10/29/2009 00:01 (#904298 - in reply to #903789)
Subject: RE: Grid Sampling Vs Veris

Colby, Kansas
I think veris can be an excellent starting place, especially if you don't have any yield monitor data, that is my first pick. Veris is especially useful because like yield data it gives you a dense dataset that is continuous across the entire field, even with grid sampling on 1 ac there are "holes". If you have known differences in soil type the veris data will typically do a much better job of outlining that than any soil survey maps. Taking veris data first would let you target your sampling to areas of interest, even without yield data the veris may show areas that you know to be higher or lower yielding. In fields where veris matches soil texture and yield really well I have used it to directly derive VRT seeding prescriptions.

What nutrients are you most interested in, I'm in a situation where P is what were trying to manage first. So if I have some ground that I know nothing about (no previous soil test) before I grid sample anything I take a good field composite. Because it can tell you a lot, especially if the field is on an extreme, if you have a field composite Bray P of 55 then its fairly obvious you can afford to mine a little bit or go to replacement only, if you have a field composite come back 9 then you obviously need to get some large blanket rates on before you begin to worry about VRT.

So how much soil variability and yield variability do you have, what nutrients are you interested in managing. I will argue that soil variability is irrelevant if it doesn't transform into yield variability.

Just some thoughts

Lucas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)