AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agronomy books
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 10/20/2009 08:39 (#892005 - in reply to #891870)
Subject: Re: Agronomy books

Hello Matt,

I use Brady and Weil's Nature and Properties of Soil as the text for several of my soil science classes. It is by far the best comprehensive English language soil science text on the market today IMHO but I may be a little biased since I did my masters degree with Ray Weil and have helped with editing some chapters in recent editions.

The 14th edition (the newest edition) is the most up to date with good information about GIS, remote sensing and other recent developments in soil science technology but any of the other editions that Ray Weil worked on (11th-13th) are good and much cheaper.

The cheapest book that still contains good science is a little book titled "Soil Science Simplified".

One should keep in mind that these books are both soil science texts (with very different levels of detail) but limited applied agronomy information.

Building Soil for Better Crops by Fred Magdoff and Harold van Es (2 rock solid soil scientists) is an excellent book on soil management with an ecological focus that is entirely available on-line:
http://www.sare.org/publications/soils.htm

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)