AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Getting Hot In Dryer Bin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

blacksox
Posted 10/14/2009 11:53 (#884237 - in reply to #884035)
Subject: Re: Grain Getting Hot In Dryer Bin

NE Indiana
Our Plenum has been running right around 180 this entire week. The grain temperature usually hovers around 100-115. I have the moisture set to transfer at 16.8. We are putting 30% corn in it, and none of it is getting burned after the transfer. Here are a few things we have done this year already.

Make sure the static pressure guage doesn't get too high, i've found ours can be above 3, but not above 4. If it gets above 4 we usually have some problems getting to corn to move out of the dryer, which could burn it up. We just put a couple thousand bushels in the morning and then a couple thousand in the evening. It's slow going with 30% corn going in.

Also may want to check your vents to make sure they aren't plugged with old fines that have turned into makeshift steel over the last year. We had a few of them plugged and the steam was coming out under the roof instead of the vents....

And check the vaporizor on the fan, I am told you shoudl be able to keep your hand on it for about 10 seconds. If you can keep it on for longer than that you need to make it hotter, and vice versa if you can't touch the thing.

I should add that ours is just a couple years old, i'm not sure how it was equipped 20 years ago....

A side note, I also increase the moisture transfer up to 17.5 if the temperature gets above 120, I think we shoudl be able to dry it down a couple points with that kind of temperature in the big bin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)