AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing corn - variety difference - no in field activity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/12/2009 23:25 (#882386)
Subject: Grazing corn - variety difference - no in field activity

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I was out checking the strip tilled corn on grazed standing corn over the weekend. It is still wet but not doing too bad.

In one of the pictures I noticed a real difference between the corn in one row and the corn in another row. Note how the row on the right is tipped back a bit while the row on the left has almost every ear filled right to the tip. I did not peel back every ear.

Then I remembered that I had some leftover corn from 2008 which was also a Kaltenberg triple stack but a slightly different number. The seed boxes on these two rows held slightly different hybrids. Note the difference in ear fill. There appeared to be just a bit of mold on the end of some of the ears on the right (may be expected with the weather we've been having) but none on the ears on the left.

I also was interested in how the grazing affected the stand if at all. Looks like it did not have a significant effect.

Here is a series of photos from about the same area showing the stalks as grazed late last October 2008, strips as made in early May 2009, and the corn and stalks between the rows as they appear this weekend, October 10th, 2009.

I was also struck by the total lack of ANY field activity crossing a lot of southern WI and northern IL today. Nothing moving at all. Not even evidence of a lot of corn silage harvested yet. Just some beans taken out previously. Most beans just standing there at attention waiting for the combines...

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/12/2009 23:31

(IMG_3102_Grazed standing corn 102708.JPG)

(IMG_0311_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 050409.JPG)

(IMG_1723_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 101009.JPG)

(IMG_1719_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 101009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3102_Grazed standing corn 102708.JPG (97KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0311_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 050409.JPG (68KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1723_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 101009.JPG (95KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1719_Striptilled corn on grazed corn 101009.JPG (99KB - 97 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)