AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water to float bowls-freezing underground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

German Shepherd
Posted 9/21/2009 21:02 (#855237)
Subject: Water to float bowls-freezing underground

We will be putting small float bowls in our lambing jugs for our upcoming lambing season. Too old to lug 5 gallon pails any more. We lamb starting about Feb. 5, and this is ND. Our nursery where the jugs are located is well insulated (and heated if need be), so freezing the bowls or water lines won't be a problem. It's underground that worries me.

We are going to install a new hydrant and when it's turned on at the start of lambing, the water will be running through up to 5 ft of frozen ground and at times there won't be enough water movement to keep the hydrant from freezing. I figure we can use a casing around the hydrant, but I'm not sure if even a large one will let enough ground heat up to keep it open.

I thought about adding a Pipe N Hot heater around the hydrant like on fountains, but I'm not sure how well it will stand up if any water gets on it from above when hot. Plus, I'd have to jury rig a thermostat to it. Add to that it has to be done right because of fire. That's my one paranoia is fire in the sheep barn. Lots and lots of straw. Any thoughts or better ideas?

((The easy idea of using 8" PVC pipe to water the jugs and just flushing out and refilling once a day won't work for us, we have too many short runs and alley ways to make it feasible. Has to be float bowls.))
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)