AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couple of questions for the dairy calf producers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 9/15/2009 23:07 (#848592 - in reply to #846492)
Subject: RE: Couple of questions for the dairy calf producers

Sunnyside, WA
Other posts have hit most of it so far. We clean hutches in between calves and put down a good layer of lime to help dry out and kill bacteria. We also try to leave the hutches in the air to dry the hutch and the soil for at least a couple weeks, more if possible. Sunlight does amazing at killing bacteria. Straw, straw, and more straw. Bedding is cheap--and clean, dry calves with good nutrition always do well. Every calf gets 1 gallon colostrum within two hours of birth, and another 1/2 gallon of colostrum 12 hours post birth, all of which is tubed. All calves are bled for total protein to check compliance on the colostrum. I don't like testing colostrum. Milk is fed in 3 quart bottles starting with 2 quarts 2X, then ramping up to 3 quarts 2X at about 2 weeks until weaning at just before 60 days. All milk is batch pasteurized. Bottles are rinsed after every feeding with cold water, then some bleach is added with hot water to wash the bottles. Cold water removes the milk film, hot water washed and kills the bugs. Bottles are air dried. Water buckets are cleaned 3 days per week. I like bottles because it keeps the milk out of the water and less milk is spilled. 22% calf grain is offered at 2-3 days old. Grain buckets are cleaned at least 3 days per week also.

We have some of the same issues as you with calves at the transition to more milk. We use a lot of Kaopectate (sp?) simply because it makes the people dealing with the calves feel better that they did something. Also use some smz tablets for the calves with a temp or that look off. Fluids can be IV if very dehydrated. Have tried numerous antibiotics and found that most of the calf health comes down to nutrition, cleanliness, colostrum, and someone with a lot of patience that has an eye for finding the sick calves early. Keep clean between treated calves. Treat the most sick calves last. Don't be afraid to go through a few pairs of gloves. Stay as clean as possible.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I feel that all of the above is very important to the start of the calves. We have over 300 heifers on milk all year round, so we've seen it all!! I rely on two wonderful calf people and make sure they have enough time to do it right. Don't push the employees to get it done fast!

Edited by J. Sheehan 9/16/2009 00:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)