AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What breed of fish is this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/27/2024 01:34 (#10719610 - in reply to #10719049)
Subject: Green sunfish

Pittsburg, Kansas

Green sunfish.

Around here locally they are called perch, but they are not a perch at all.

Green sunfish. For an equal length of fish they will have a mouth gape the same size as a Largemouth bass. But they only get about ten inches long. Generally if you have an adequate population of largemouth bass they will not be a problem. However, if they get the upper hand on a pond early on before the bass they can dominate a pond and over populate it. They are such voracious predators they can overwhelm the spawning bass and eat up all the babies.

Most people much prefer bluegill. They are a native species in our area. They are also tough as nails and can withstand low dissolved oxygen levels so if a person has a fish kill the green sunfish are the most likely to some of them survive. A pound size one if a monster. They are great kids fish because of their good fighting for their size and they will bite when nothing else will. High catch rate fish.

They will hybridize with bluegill and other sunfish. I have a lot of natural hybrids in my ponds, even though I never stocked any hybrid sunfish. Most of my hybrids are with bluegill but occasionally I will have a Redear sunfish x green sunfish hybrid.

Edited by John Burns 4/27/2024 01:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)