AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time planting 30" beans any advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

doathlon
Posted 4/18/2024 09:43 (#10711298 - in reply to #10710439)
Subject: RE: First time planting 30" beans any advice?

Unstated G Guy - 4/17/2024 17:35

Southeast ohio, we have always drilled beans with Deere 750. Some neighbors have bought 15" planters and gone that route. I'm trying to speed up planting while also get better seed placement so going to try half my acres with my Kinze planter (12 row and has row cleaners with coulters as well so 30' at a time instead of a 15' drill). Nobody around here does this but the area is a little behind the times. Any tips before I start next week? Some going into standing corn stalks others going into rye cover crop on top of corn stalks that will be burned down tomorrow. What depth range do you try to hit? Also have dry fertilizer on the planter would it br a waste of time to put some fertilizer down to?

If it matters I'm using Ebberts enlist beans, G3370ES and G3580ES. Was planning 140k population, all no till, will I have issues with lodging? Should I figure two post passes or get by with one?

140,000 if the seed is treated or 155,000-160,000 if its naked. If you have terraces I would shoot for the higher pop even with it treated as it makes the plants grow taller in the terrace channels and back slopes so they pod higher. I see guys play the lower pop game on no till but when you consider the germ is 85-90% than the fact you lose another 7-10% from it being no till you can see where lower pops can get you in trouble with weed control

Edited by doathlon 4/18/2024 09:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)