AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best grass to plant for high volume dry hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 4/13/2024 14:04 (#10705307 - in reply to #10705183)
Subject: RE: Best grass to plant for high volume dry hay?

SE Manitoba
MI Dairy - 4/13/2024 11:51

What would you guys recommend for a perennial grass to plant that will yield well on variable and light soil? We have been doing a pasture mix which has been decent but we are looking for something that will maximize our yields for the two cuttings we do on dry hay. We will be mixing it in a dry cow tmr. Thanks

Well - - - In my looking at the different varieties of grasses for us (at least somewhat) more northerly folks the biggest variables are both your moisture availability and your fertility.

So if you pour the coal to the grasses AND you have the necessary moisture you can just about use any of the grasses and get pretty good results.
(You will likely have to more from a 2 cut system as well unless you're just looking for tons - - - me I want quality so I would be cutting at boot stage.
What I have found fascinating is that under excellent conditions (read irrigation) results are fairly similar between timothy, orchard grass, meadow brome (three I can remember of the top of my head at the moment.)

HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)