AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Course ground hay. Why??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

A&M
Posted 4/7/2024 12:45 (#10697586)
Subject: Course ground hay. Why??

So we bale cornstalks and use them in some winter rations. It’s been a nightmare getting custom hay grinders to come off the feedlots. But finally got someone out. We somewhat “fine” grind those bales so we don’t have a lot of waste. Some is anticipated obviously. We spoke to the crew on what we wanted. Well these guys were burning threw 2- 1250# bales a minute. No joke!! Dad ran out to check to make sure they were grinding it down fine enough and they said no. We only chunk grind cornstalk bales. I had them stop grinding completely. They Had portion of the stack gone threw already. Maybe 30ish ton. English was kinda broken but mentioned they needed to get back and they only “chunk” grind corn fodder. Basically all they did was cut strings and fluff the bale with the grinder. For a price of 18 bucks a bale…... Not much was ground at all. I could mix it with wet distillers and get them to eat some of it down but I’m going to be shoveling the bunk almost every day. What would you recommend doing with it? Bedding might be an option but we live in a dry climate in Colorado. Could windrow it on pasture and let them pick out what they want. Considering not feeding dry hay of any kind in the future.

Edited by A&M 4/7/2024 12:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)