AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems with irrigated wheat planted too shallow?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Idahoagronomist
Posted 4/7/2024 01:24 (#10697072 - in reply to #10695406)
Subject: RE: Problems with irrigated wheat planted too shallow?

Yeah I guess irrigated wheat over here is just a different animal. No doubt in my mind it totally kills our yield when we are an inch plus deep. I'd say difference between 1/4 inch depth and 1 1/4 inch depth is at least 15 bpa. In places where the roller harrow misses and leaves soft spots i can clearly see the lack of tillering due to the added depth.. Then if we get a press wheel bearing froze up or stuck it kind of drags out the top layer of soil and ill see a stark difference in tillering/thickness where it dragged out the top layer of soul and the seed ends up barely under the surface.
Ill try to get some photos of this in a few weeks. As far as stand we always seem to get close to 100 percent emergence and weed pressure is never a problem for us unless there are wild oats.

It is really easy for me to find places every spring where the differences are quite obvious in the seeding depth and resulting tillering. Shallower always looks better in my experience. Whenever I do run the grain drill I set it almost as shallow as it can go. I'd really like to figure out how we can get our spring wheat yields up to 140+. I believe the potential is there if I can just improve the tillering. A big part of that is maintaining good moisture early but I believe the main function i want to improve is just getting that seed up out of the ground as quickly as possible by having it very close to the surface. It is a lot easier for the plant to send roots down later than it is for the initial spike to reach up through the soil surface.

Edited by Idahoagronomist 4/7/2024 01:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)