AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull sale observations.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 3/30/2024 15:40 (#10686909 - in reply to #10686205)
Subject: RE: Bull sale observations.

West Central Iowa
I agree with a lot of your arguments. Something else that I see and often shake my head at are the maternal pedigrees of the bulls listed for sale. While there are operations that have their own prefix on multiple generations on the maternal side of the pedigree, I am surprised at how many catalogs I see where a significant amount of the females carry other prefixes. I get it........people want to bring in new genetics......and there are no rules against doing it......etc.

I guess, I'm not real interested in catalogs with an offering comprised of an expensive, "hand picked", impressive footnote, hodgepodge accumulation of females. I would prefer to see bull catalogs where a majority of the dams, grand-dams, & great grand-dams carry the operations own prefix. I'm not against guys occasionally bringing in genetics, just not awe-struck by folks who peruse the country spending big bucks on females and slap their own prefix on the offspring to be labeled as a "progressive breeder" with all their top-pic females.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)