AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader TurnPath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/6/2024 07:24 (#10653637)
Subject: Ag Leader TurnPath

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The following is my experience with testing Ag Leader's Turn Path feature now available for InCommand displays with Steer Command Z2 or Steady Steer. The intent is to have auto steer handle turning around on the Headlands for the return pass. This feature requires an unlock which like most other unlocks becomes part of that display. The Turn Path unlock can be initiated for a free trial period . Actually there are two free arrangement plans.

One is a 24 hour user initiated plan. The operator simply goes to the page that shows the current status of the various unlocks. Turn Path will be at the bottom of the list. The operator can then choose the 24 hour plan. This allows Turn Path to operate for 24 hours. This trial period can be paused so as not to "use up the 24 hours" if not needed. I went that route the other day and paused it. I then restarted it yesterday.

Another free option involves going through your dealer who obtains a free 7 day authorization. I do not know if that approach can be paused or if it just runs for 7 days straight once activated.

After playing with the 24 hour free unlock, I was impressed and decided to purchase the unlock permanently. I called my dealer who had me go to the features screen and indicate that I wished to unlock the feature. The screen came back with the Serial Number of my display and 4 digit hexadecimal code. I took a picture of that screen and sent it to my dealer. Within a few minutes I got a picture back from him. This picture showed the rather long hexadecimal code that I needed to enter into my InCommand. After doing so, my screen responded with unlock successful. The status listing on my InCommand 1200 now shows that Turn Path is enabled.

Due to the unusual weather, I was able to drive around in a soybean field for some trial runs/testing. Several items need to be in order for Turn Path to function. The Turn Path slide out screen is added to the four items previously present on earlier versions of the InCommand firmware. When I hit the lower most tab, a sub screen slid out. The screen contains a checklist of items that are necessary for Turn Path operation. Much like the checklist for a configuration, the list gives the operator a status indication of what is present and what is missing. If all necessary items are available then Turn Path can be used in this situation..

Turn Path requires an unlock either temporary or permanent. Turn Path requires using either Steer Command Z2 or Steady Steer with an InCommand. The field must have an existing boundary. The field must have an existing Straight or Identical Curve AB line. If non are available a new one can be created. If these conditions are met then the operator is able to "turn On" Turn Path. I used a Guidance configuration and changed the width to the width of the planter that we use for corn and soybeans.

I chose an AB line in memory from last year. I started driving and engaged on an AB line. I was then able to turn on Turn Path. Turn Path make some default assumptions and created a predicted turn around path and direction. These assumptions are based on the width of your implement. This defines the shape and distances for the turn around curve. The distances that that Turn Path is using are listed and can be changed as necessary.

The AB line that Auto Steer was following appeared as usual, the next guidance path for the return pass is shown in Orange indicting that is the path Turn Path will be taking. The curve path on the Headlands is also shown as you approach the Headland.

An alarm sounds when Turn Path is close to performing the Turn Around procedure. The operator slows down and raises the implement as necessary. Depending on the configuration, Auto Swath or an implement switch could stop application as usual. Turn Path then makes the turn in the indicated direction and pulls back in on the next pass. The operator would then lower the implement and in my case with the planter, Auto swath/implement switch would start application.

This worked well (I was just using the tractor) but I felt that the default turn around path was going to get too close to the edge of the field. I modified some of the turn around parameters which changed the shape and location of the turn around curve. I repeated the test process. The "new" turn around curve appeared to be more to my liking. These parameters are saved with the configuration so that they would not need to be reentered for the next field unless conditions changed.

Another item that can be changed from the default is referred to as the "Sequence". Normally the sequence would expect to go back/forth across the field from left to right or right to left by taking the next adjacent swath for the next pass. With our good sized rectangular fields, this would be used for our planting.

However, there may be other situations where it is desirable to work the field in strips or sections. Other times it might be desirable to work across a field taking every other pass and then return to work the remaining passes. With a combine, it is usually desirable to break through in strips so after the initial pass, the grain cart can pull under the combine for unloading on the go. All these sequences are possible.

After my successful test runs with the tractor simulating planting, I changed some things around to simulate use with my combine. The Turn Path sub screen changed its appearance slightly after I chose a sequence for harvesting strips of crop. This seemed to work mostly as I expected. As I approached my dooryard, I did notice a blue curved line instead of an orange curved line as I was expecting at the Headland. I do not know the meaning of the blue curve line but Turn Path did not turn the tractor around. It is likely that there was some type of contradiction in my setup. I had to stop the tractor and make the turn myself. I was short on time and wasn't able to continue my testing.

I'm sure the blue line has some useful purpose such as a warning. I don't believe the "coming to the end, I'm going to make a turn" alarm sounded that time.

Edited by tedbear 3/6/2024 15:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)