AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

M4HK
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 2/12/2024 21:33 (#10621077)
Subject: M4HK

Eastern NE KS
This 1st calf heifer M4HK recently dropped her heifer calf who is to my right and behind me.  The baby weighed 65# at birth. Pix taken on day 2.  If kept, her permanent id will be M4KM. Breaking down her tag, the 'M4' is cow family, 'K' links to her mother's birth year (2022) and the second 'M' signifies her birth year (2024).
This mom was staring at my dog that was scouting for baby calf poop (Yuck).  She was posing so square that I stepped off the tractor to snap a pix.  I really like M4HK's udder quality but could drop her tail head about 2-3".  She is 1/128th Simmental and 127/128th Angus - out of our now commercial cows and from our once registered Simmental herd.  Back in the day we had membership #730 with the ASA.
The original 'M4' female was a yearling purebred Simmental heifer Mom bought 44 years ago. M4 named/started a cow family that continues today and into the future.  [For folks that don't know, several breeds use 22 letters of the alphabet to identify birth year of recorded breeding stock]. So the calf is somewhat of a significant anniversary, 2 cycles of 22 years.
M4 was solid black-not spotted white face with a lot of chrome. We screwed up her looks by dehorning her late resulting in a Frankenstein monster/flat head look.  
M4 earned her nickname "SeaWitch" removing anyone's presence from a corral or walking nearby in the pasture.  However, 'SeaWitch' was not uttered within mom's earshot if Dad or I wanted to eat supper.
One of M4 daughters ('80's timeframe) delivered a 138 lb Simmi calf that survived.  That's the biggest living birth I know of over 60 years.  More birth weights were 85 - 95 pounders, some bigger.  Nice cattle but folks around here didn't like any that big.

Edited by Doug61 2/12/2024 21:40

(M4HK (full).jpg)

(M4HK calf (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments M4HK (full).jpg (177KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments M4HK calf (full).jpg (144KB - 131 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• M4HK - Doug61 : 2/12/2024 21:33

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)