AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fundamental over load Thanks Chart guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

FW30
Posted 1/31/2024 13:46 (#10602287 - in reply to #10602265)
Subject: RE: Fundamental over load Thanks Chart guys

EC SD
I worked on AI back in the early 1990s, so fully understand what Marty is describing here. My team ran the AI models (expert system and neural nets) on the best supercomputers of the day, and also invented grid-computing to combine the power of thousands of (then state of the art) desktop computers. This allowed computing the models to the point we could model the events of the next hour of the hypothetical future in just two hours of real time. In other words, we could predict the likely events of the next day, by crunching numbers all night.

So my opinion of all of that:

1) It was a very interesting first job out of college
2) The next day is not bound by "likely" predictions and will unfold in quite unpredictable ways
3) It is hugely expensive to pursue predictions at that scale, only to be wrong most of the time anyway

After a few years, I felt more and more that this work was a real waste of time and taxpayer money so resigned and moved on in my career.

Here we are over 30 years later and AI is again the rage. I think it has a much better chance of becoming useful to society this time around. The AI focus now is not on "predicting the future", but instead on enhancing workforce productivity, gaining insights from big data, designing better medicines, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)