AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1986?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WAYNE0224
Posted 1/21/2024 20:14 (#10586726)
Subject: 1986?

west central ohio
Just for fun I wanted to ask for yall's opinion. I was just reading in the Cafe about banks maybe not renewing some operating loans? It made me wonder if we are about to be in tough financial shape in the near future? So a quick google search shows that in 1986 the spot price for corn was basically $1.60 plus or minus......The other metric I found was that in 1986 one us Dollar was worth about $2.80 today.....so a 2.8: 1 ratio...... If you take 1986's $1.60 X 2.8 you get $4.48 corn today. Now, some things have gotten better for today farmer, such as genetics, and yield improvements, but everything else has gotten way..way. more expensive. How can we as farmers have a lot of the same metrics as the dreaded 80's and feel confident about how things are going? Is it the fact that land values have not gone down, or is it the fact that more farms are probably paid off vs back then? Or is it that guys like me were too young to understand the stress of managing a operation in that era? How do you think this will play out today vs back then? What do you see as different or the same? Thanks.

Edited by WAYNE0224 1/21/2024 20:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)