AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ethanol in brazil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Al Swearingen
Posted 1/19/2024 11:59 (#10582336 - in reply to #10582294)
Subject: RE: what a bunch of misinformation......

North Central Iowa
white shadow - 1/19/2024 11:34

You provide a link showing how Brazil has a lower Carbon Index score than the United States. We want to see the itemized math. What a bunch of nonsense. Brazil Carbon Index score is just a number on a piece of paper that isn't held to the same level of regulatory proof of the United States. Just Trucking alone makes this a ludicrous statement. Look at below and try to think for yourself. Grain shipped out by truck, long distances and inputs like fertilizer trucked in long distances, and you say they have a lower carbon score---nonsense. 440 miles one way in Brazil is considered a short haul. There isn't one tillage pass of difference in production methods between the United States producers and Brazilian producers. The only difference is they simply say they are low carbon producers and don't get assessed an indirect land use penalty. The indirect land use change impacts of biofuels, also known as ILUC or iLUC (pronounced as i-luck), relates to the unintended consequence of releasing more carbon emissions due to land-use changes around the world induced by the expansion of croplands for ethanol or biodiesel production in response to the increased. We get charged an indirect land use penalty and Brazil gets a pass. https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=bioethanol+land+use+change&hl=e...

One of the main roads connecting the ports of Pará to Mato Grosso, Brazil’s largest grain producer, is BR-163. The 663-mile stretch of BR-163 from Sorriso, North Mato Grosso, to Pará was completed in late November 2019. Using this new route, it takes about two days to ship grain by truck to terminals in Pará. As in the United States, this region’s proximity to ports lowers transportation costs, giving farmers a better price than their counterparts in other areas. In Brazil, short-haul trucking averages about 440 miles from farm to rail and barge terminals. In the United States, the average distance from farm to inland grain elevator terminals is about 25-100 miles (Salin, 2021) https://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2022/01/investments-in-brazilian-g...

You don't understand the fear of doing business with dishonest politicians? These people are mobsters. Brazil is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Big players like Poet have been to Brazil numerous times and have no interest because of the bribes, payoffs and corruption to do business there and you want those people in the United States? Wake Up. The article below(with link) is from 2017, but nothing has changed. The carbon sequestration movement in the United States is just as corrupt. The whole movement has the stench of corruption. Some of us just seem to have higher standards for integrity and honesty, I guess. The green backlash.

BRASILIA — Brazil's Supreme Court has authorized an investigation of over 100 top politicians, implicating an entire swath of the country's governing elite in a corruption probe that has tarnished the political system and threatened to derail the nation's economic recovery.
Nearly a third of the president’s cabinet, the heads of both chambers of Congress, two dozen senators and 42 representatives will be investigated for corruption, money laundering and fraud, according to a list released late Tuesday by a Supreme Court justice presiding over the cases. Five former presidents were also implicated. The list was the subject of rumors and leaks for weeks and sent shock waves through the capital when it was made public. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/brazils-political-...

You want to dig through something, dig through the emotions of greed and the science behind the carbon capture movement. Just the fact that ethanol want-to-be's from Summit are involved in the corruption of Brazil ethanol industry is enough to make me run. If the word Summit appears on anything we need to run away as fast as we can. Pretty easy to see why Summit did some of the heavy handed moves in Northeast South Dakota when they are used to operating in Brazil.

There will be international standards, auditing and 3rd party verification of the CI scores if the ethanol is going to be used as a feedstock for SAF. Do you think the airlines and other customers will spend money on something that is not verifiable?

As far as politics, I think you could use the same headline from Brazil and change it to USA and it'd match up.

As far as green backlash, some could argue that enrolling in CRP and taking government payments for it, having the government pay for windbreaks, wetlands, buffers is a scam also. Regardless if its for wildlife, clean water or erosion that money comes from taxpayers and not all those taxpayers benefit from it or agree with it. Some would argue that it's just paying farmers to take ground out of production to make others feel good about doing something for the environment. Others see it as a way to add profitability and diversity to their operation. I've used all of the above and don't have a problem with it, the demand was there and I made the best decision for my operation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)