AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Driving in France
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Fred
Posted 10/21/2023 22:20 (#10450916 - in reply to #10447323)
Subject: RE: Driving in France

south east SD
thinkstoomuch - 10/19/2023 08:11

Edit to add important item:

make sure you have your international driver's license before you leave. Can not get it abroad and most rental agencies require it. AAA is where I got mine through. It is not a government document. It is a language supplement and registration to your US license.

Just got back in July from Belgium, France, Netherlands and Germany and drove in all of them.
Never had to have an international driver’s license when we rented our 9 passenger van from Sixt and they never asked for one.

One thing I would do is rent your car on one card and cancel it as soon as you get home. Sixt tried to say there was damage. Funny they gave us an all clear when we returned it, clean no damage and full of fuel. A week later they emailed us saying there was a scratch with a little picture you couldn’t make out anything. We said nope and had the paperwork to prove it. Funny they wanted $1450 just below of the insurance we had. Then they replied oh, ok you were a great costumer and would be happy to rent to us again.

Also when we canceled the card, can’t get us for speeding tickets. Neighbor got billed later for a town they were never in, they just billed his card months later

Edit to add if you can drive here, you can drive there. We used our I-phones with international plan for driving directions and worked well. Traffic can be very heavy in places, bumper to bumper and stopped. In the country it was just fine. We drove to Normandy and all around the country side looking at the beaches and the American National Cemetery. Stayed in Bayeux were the British National Cemetery is.

Have fun!!

Edited by Fred 10/21/2023 22:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)