AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turbo TwinJet tips for fungicide application
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 8/5/2009 16:51 (#800774 - in reply to #799711)
Subject: A few more thoughts .......................

Kentucky
To get canopy penetration, it takes pressure and a droplet size that is not drift prone. For the fungicides that are being discussed, you need coverage because they are only locally systemic (they are not going to translocate throughout the plant like glyphosate or an ALS herbicide might). To get good coverage in R3 soybeans for something like asian rust, I don't think that 7-10 gpa is enough water to do what needs to be done. If you use a tip fine enough to get coverage, it's going to be hard to get droplets that the pressure can force deep into the canopy with coverage. For ASR prevention the minimum recommendation here is 15 gpa -- 20 is better. You need a 300 micron or larger size droplet to prevent drift. 450+ microns and you lose coverage.

I do think some of the AIXR type flat fans will work in beans because you can run the pressure way up. I used a DG type flat fan the last two years in soybeans at 70 psi and 15 gpa, but will probably use my twins this year. I do agree with the post that wheat and beans have different needs to some degree in that coverage is of utmost important in wheat on the flag leaf and the head with canopy penetration of less importance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)