AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some opinions after 3400 mi. trip thru Corn Belt
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jtmcc57
Posted 7/27/2009 21:50 (#790552)
Subject: Some opinions after 3400 mi. trip thru Corn Belt

Bloomfield, KY.
The wife & I just got back from a trip that wandered around the Midwest, so I thought I would post a few thoughts about what I saw.

An outline of where I went-- up to Indy, then Bloomington, Dixon, & Freeport in IL.
Monroe, Richland Center, Black River Falls, Barron, Baldwin, & St. Croix Falls in WI.
Duluth, International Falls, & Warroad in MN.
Grand Forks, Fargo & Wahpeton in ND.
Watertown, Vermillion, & Yankton in SD.
Bloomfield, Norfolk, West Point, & Blair in NE.
Missouri Valley, Atlantic, Winterset, Osceola, Ottumwa, & Bloomfield in IA.
Kirksville, Macon, Columbia, & St. Louis in MO.
Across S.IL, and S.IN on I-64 to return home.

What I saw--Almost everywhere had some water damage to crops. The worst was in the Red River Valley, especially in the southern end of the valley, and in S.IL.
Almost everywhere had good crops inspite of the water damage.
Almost no one was suffering from dry conditions. We did see pivots running in NE NE., but the dryland corn there looked pretty good.
I think that most crops are running behind schedule. This was especially problematic in the Red River Valley. I don't think they have any margin for error there.
I think beans may be lagging even more than corn. We saw a lot of beans that were no bigger than the DC beans here @ home. That can't be good.

I didn't see the major grain growing area of S. MN & N. IA as we made a loop around those areas.

These are just opinions & I obviously saw only a small percentage of the crops in any given area, so I could be wrong about a lot of things.
I wouldn't make any marketing decisions based on this post, but I do think I came away a little more bearish on corn & a little more bullish on beans.

One other thing---Boy! The Red River Valley is flat! IL looks like the mountains compared to that place!

Jack McClaskey
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)