AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I am getting nervous
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nkline
Posted 6/2/2023 08:12 (#10253524 - in reply to #10253230)
Subject: RE: I am getting nervous

West Central Iowa
oldskool - 6/1/2023 22:33

If history repeats itself as usual with the 10year cattle cycle we will see $2 fats and $1.18 fats within the next 2 years. Personally I’ve been waiting for this opportunity since 2014. Used that market to pay off most my debt. This time I’ll actually get to keep some if the market lasts that long…

Mentioned this before but just can’t say it enough. Young guys looking to get into cattle: now is probably not the best time. This market will go down faster then it went up. Wait a couple years for these feeders to get back under a grand/hd and bred heifers under $1500. You won’t miss out on anything but heartache and bankruptcy. Not trying to be a negative Nelly. But, it really stinks watching the bank shoveling cash out the door for cattle when they’re high only to call the note the minute the market turns south. There are 2 guys my age left in the county after 2015. I graduated with 26 and all but 2 were raised on a cattle operation. If you love cattle that much go get a job on a cattle operation for the next year or so pulling $25+/hr. When the market softens you will have the experience and the cash to make your run. Cattle equipment will be available for pennies on the dollar and leases will be widely available compared to right now. Just some advice from a middle aged guy who remembers selling sub $1 feeder cattle.

Bred cattle are a bargain here, they are around kill price, maybe not heifers, but my advise would be to not start with heifers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)