AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

North Dakota Corn Harvest in July
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 7/23/2009 13:47 (#785454 - in reply to #785420)
Subject: Re: North Dakota Corn Harvest in July

Rolla, ND
Looking at it I was thinking at least one quart equivalent of glyphosate, maybe two. Followed by an application of steel. Doesn't look like the field needs a mulch to conserve moisture.

I thought it almost looked like marestail/horseweed next to the combine snouts. If so, it would be interesting to see how tolerant of glyphosate it is. Most here still seems to kill okay, but that's certainly on the tall size.

Of course I would expect some of our old friends Mr Kochia, Mr Canada Thistle, and so on. The buckwheat must be really big by now bet the dock is shooting seed heads.

I missed it the first time but see the center pivot is actually in the pictures on the other side of the grain cart.

Did you have much wheat midge this year? I've been out the last couple of nights and found a lot more than I expected.

Can't believe how low to the ground the soybeans are blooming again this year, the pods will be touching the ground.

Harvest doesn't look to be easy, it will be late, and I've got lots of leaning/goosenecked canola that's going to put pods way to close to the ground (big problem with brown girdling root rot, by harvest people will blame blackleg and white mold), the wheat is tall and I'm just hoping the big driving rain doesn't come and drive it to the ground. Barley is already leaning at the bases of hills. And now the soys start setting pods right on the ground.

Peas look excellent though. Sunflower are nicest in years if sclerotinia doesn't move in later. And the corn harvest will be easy this year, destroy, though with the late spring and after last year, I actually don't have a single corn field this year. Too bad the insurance companies won't release it now so people can get it worked in time for winter wheat.

Plus the weeds in the crop are truly ugly in many cases. They just keep coming this year so anything without residual control has a real growth underneath. I'm not sure it's going to stay underneath in all cases, harvest is still a long ways away and they are growing really well.

Marv

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)